Sunday, 12 May 2013

Cube update 2

Work progresses slowly, with a few problems I've had to overcome but I finally have a (nearly) working drive system. The only problem is has is that sometimes the connection to the first drive belt to the motor sometimes comes loose. I'll fix it (somehow...)

This is how I wanted to connect the first drive wheel and it would have hopefully connected to the motor drive which is threaded. Unfortunately, my frame is not allowing the thread to reach out far enough, so I am having to make a connector to join the 2 but this keeps coming loose with the wooden connections. I have ordered a tap & die kit to make a threaded connector, which will hopefully have better strength.

The assembled drive and wheel to lift the main cube. The wooden cube i had made was weighing the mechanism down so I decided to make a card cube instead to reduce the load. 

A close up of the mechanism inside

Here is the working mechanism so far. I discovered that if I change the voltage on my dc power adapter, it can also change the speed so I might play around with that. I have decided to control the whole mechanism  with the coin slot with an arduino. I have been wanting to explore using an arduino for a while and this will give me the opportunity. A friend of mine uses them a lot and will be giving me a tutorial.

Now I need to work out how to lock the cube at the top of the cycle. This will involve me spending a long time watching the mechanism in motion and working things out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment