Wednesday, 24 July 2013


I know, I know...I've been rubbish. No post for ages and not a lot to show for it.

The problem is, I'm not enjoying this model.

It's interesting and there are a lot of challenges, but that's part of the problem I've found. All my other models have been relatively small and this means it is easier in a sense to create parts. When you go big, previous small mistakes which you could get away with, now become even bigger and there a smaller tolerances for any errors. Every time I look at the model it seems that with every piece I make there are more and more things acting against each other which interrupt the intended operation of the piece.

Plus I find myself getting bored with longer projects.

Yep, I'm gonna admit defeat with this one. I'm gonna pack it up in case I come back to it at a later point. I'll still have the motor for another project if I want to use it.

If I were to do a post-mortem, I would have to say that I'm trying to run before I can walk and I really need to develop my skills as well as accurate measuring. I also think my tool skills are not quite there yet, especially in terms of making holes. It might be that my drill press is inaccurate which is causing deeper holes to go off the intended 90 degree cuts. I would need to invest in a better drill press. 

I'll practice with smaller models first. I still need to finish my valentines model as well as think about another Christmas model. If I start now, I should hopefully have enough time, but I'm being quite lazy at the moment. That's probably another thing I need to work on. 


Big thanks to J E Johnston who directed me to his blog with instructions on making a geneva wheel (Maths! ARRRGHHH!!!). See below for the link:

Also to Dug North who gave me the idea of using a geneva wheel in the first place (I could have hit myself for not thinking to use one! Sometimes I overthink things and I cannot see the easiest solutions. Thanks Dug!)

No comments:

Post a Comment