Thursday 7 October 2010

Why I make automata

I love making automata. It challenges me, it keeps me occupied and the reaction from people when they turn the handle is great but the question I ask myself sometimes, and I'm sure other people ask, is "Why?"

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm not sure how it started. I think I saw an automata piece on boingboing.net and said to myself "I can do that!" So I did. 

Going back further though after consulting my father, he told me that when I was at nursery school, my favourite toy was a jack in the box and I would fight off the other kids who wanted to use it. That might be the root of the obsession. 

Anyway...

I have made the head for my second pumpkin head model. I also made some shoes but they have gone a bit Frankenstein in the thickness department. 


Time to do the arms and then paint the fella. Here's a video of the other model:


No comments:

Post a Comment