The new body was coming along nicely. I had made it slightly chunkier and I repositioned the arm joints as I had not done this on the last model
But, pine being pine and breaking easily along the grain, I screwed up and broke the arm joint
I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with this model. I shall keep the parts I have made so far and might give it another go when I get some lime wood. Pine is too unreliable (or maybe I'm too rough with it). Plus, I've already made one model so I'm not sure if I need to do one more. I'm going to concentrate on the Turtle and the Hand model and I think I'm going to enter that automata competition. I am also thinking of doing some work involving tin cans and tin in general but I have no experience in working with tin or how to solder it. It's good to have a challenge.
I also need to get some more dowel. I was previously using softwood dowel but this wasn't good enough so I need hardwood dowel. But, I cannot find this in my town so I'm going to have to order it online.
I sometimes wish I lived in America where wood carving is a more accepted past time and there are more stores to cater for it. I'm constantly finding it difficult to get decent materials in England and the cost is pretty high.